Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Monsoon magic-1 day 3 waterfalls

Monsoon is back and this time it had started early. I was thinking for one-day trip and started off early morning from Mysore on 14-Jul-2018. At dawn, I was at Kushalnagar and river Kaveri was rushing to touch KRS dam. Had a heavy breakfast and started off to Madikeri.
Continuous rains had captured Kodagu district for more than a week and every stream, river was in full flow. A week back earthquake at Madikeri and Somwarpet had alerted people. Soon off, I left Madikeri and took Gaalibeedu road.
Pit stop at Kootu holey dam was beautiful.

With rain on-off, I reached the last village on this road. Deserted place and school welcomed me. I had to go around to find people for getting directions. I happened to meet Red House home stay and gathered information to reach the falls.







Tea plantations welcomed me, crossing couple of streams I was at a gate. Leeches were waiting desperately to attack and I cleared many of them from my toes & hands. There were no signs or any other indications. Sadly, I had to guess, plastic wrappers lying on the trail would be the way to falls and it was true. Insects and frogs were at their fully joy to scream. In about 20min, I could see the falls from distance. Water was gushing and I was searching for safe place to cross the stream and get closer. With many trials, I made up and got to the falls.


I had to put tremendous effort to keep my camera free from water droplets. I clicked photos, took videos and returned back to school.

I had light snacks and got off to Madikeri-Mangalore road. Took tea break at Jodupal (Abbikolli) falls and reached Koynadu around 2pm.
I got a glimpse of Kalyala falls from the main road. Took the village road and ended at stream.

One the way descending

Bottom stage
I had been to this falls in 2006 and the way to falls I remember was along the stream. But now, there were deep trenches by forest department to keep away elephants. I went to village and requesting Sathish’s help, I could reach falls. Climbing down steep with rain pouring and our path along stream posed us biggest challenge. After 30min, I was at the bottom. I took photos-videos with great difficulty and managed to climb up with some more pit stops for photos. Thanked Sathish and started my journey back.
Continuous rain had made river Payaswini in huge flow. Stopped at Koynadu ganapathi temple, offered my prayers and started my journey. Had dinner at Kushalnagar and reached Mysore in the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment